National Parks & Wildlife Service (NPWS) have announced that applications for Deer Hunting Licences (DHLs) will shortly go entirely online through a new Licence Customer Portal.
This portal will become a one-stop-shop for all licences issued by NPWS in due course. As a first step, hunters applying for a Deer Hunting Licence for the 2024/2025 season will do so online through the new Customer Portal.
NPWS are carrying out some initial testing of the system at present, and further information will be available once this testing of the new system is complete.
Stakeholders including Deer Alliance HCAP will have an opportunity for input through an online demonstration that will be rolled out in advance of making the system live, so that users will be able to familiarise themselves with the new system and also ask questions and/or provide feedback.
THE NEW E-LICENCING SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO BRING A RANGE OF BENEFITS INCLUDING:
- Fully online, fast, efficient licencing process with no need to fill out and post documents.
- Each hunter will have their own login and password.
- Applicants will be able to track the status of their application through the portal.
- Once approved, applicants will receive their licence instantly and will be able to view their licence(s) online and print them, if they so wish.
- The requirement of the minimum of 100 acres landowner permission has been removed.
- Applicants will no longer have to provide written landowner permission.
- Hunting returns can be completed online throughout the year.
- Commercial shoot operators will be able to see the status of applications from their clients.
HOW WILL THE APPLICATION PROCESS CHANGE?
The application process for deer hunting licences will be online only. Within the portal applicants will be required to:
- include a photograph with their application to ensure the individual issued the licence can be identified.
- sign a declaration verifying that they will only hunt on land where they have permission, as set out in Section 28 of the Wildlife Act.
- upload a firearm certificate and/or proof of firearm purchase.
- sign a declaration that they are compliant with the minimum firearm requirements when hunting deer, as set out in Statutory Instrument No. 239/1977 (Wildlife Act, 1976 (Firearms and Ammunition) Regulations, 1977.
- Deer hunting licences will issue via email/through the portal only, they will not be posted.